How I Fought to Survive Guantánamo By Patrick Barkham
ZERO POEM viSUAL sCORE/sOUND pERFORMANCE WITH THANKS TO GLEB KOLOMIETS
many thanks to Gleb more than i can say and i hope some of you may enjoy this--
Here are the links:
- On RuTube:
- and a copy on YouTube:
3 BOOKS APPEARING "SERIALIZED" AT THIS VENUE
download the poetry-generating software Gnoetry0.2
Slides shows: Iranian Street & Grafitti Art -Photo Stream: Multimedia Artist A1One's Work
the 2 above slides shows are of Iranian Street and Graffiti Art;
the one below is the photo stream of Iranian multimedia artist A1One
Kohla Studio & various artists have hosted major International exhibitions of Sticker Art and related forms of Steet Art--Stenciling, Painting, Skate Board Art--
The New Extreme Experimental American Poetry & Arts--Necessity is the Motherfucker of Invention
--Pier Paulo Pasolini
To degenerate as a result of the use of torture, & by its concealment & deception question human dignity & individual rights--
In the first lines of his Introduction to Torture: Cancer of Democracy France and Algeria 1954-62, Pierre Vidal-Naquet asks "Can a great nation, liberal by tradition, allows its institutions, its army, and its system of justice to degenerate over the span of a few years as a result of the use of torture, and by its concealment and deception of such a vital issue call the whole Western concept of human dignity and the rights of the individual into question?"
To fit in with the change of events, words, too, had to change
In The Peloponnesian War, Book 3, Thucydides states:
"To fit in with the change of events, words, too, had to change. What used to be thought of as a thoughtless act of aggression was now regarded as the courage one would expect to find in a party member; to think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was a coward, any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one's unmanly character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant one was totally unfitted for action; frenzied violence came to be considered an attribute of a real man. "
Necessity is the Mother of Invention
These entries are ongoing found materials with which one works on various projects. They are an Anarkeyology of Site/Sight/Cites in which, by relinking the Military & Art meanings of "avant-garde," are found different ways of investigating separations, Walls, silences, distranslations, forgeries, torture, "Newspeak," censorship and propaganda as elements common to both war and writing/art historically & in the USA & Globally today.
The finding of these materials and the questions they open are, I find, "necessary," as the Formal separations of the American "avant-gardes" from the Military & external/ internal imperialist realities that are among the "symptoms . . . in language" that Pasolini notes "we (have) to go on."
Separations in, of, and by language are "necessary" to Vidal-Naquet's "concealment " of "torture, cancer of democracy," whose "deceptions" erect barriers, Walls, prisons, "Security," Surveillance between not only the torturers and the tortured, Occupiers and the Occupied, but between actions and words, so that a culture conceals itself from itself.
Materials & questions that are "necessary" to examine separations, concealments, deceptions that are "necessary"--
and are Hidden in Plain Site/Sight/Cite
"Necessary"--to find among the "fictional" and the "factual," among street debris and the debris of Poetry, Writing & Arts, Street & Protest Arts and Actions, News Reports, Torture Documents , Prisons . . . the" failure to communicate" that haunts the Prison //Security//Surveillance System of Cool Hand Luke's"Boss Keane's Ditch" and daily covering more of the world. These interconnections and relinkings, the symptoms in language, is a work found by what I call "Necessity, the Motherfucker of Invention."
In The Moro Affair, Leonardo Sciascia writes:
"Indeed when the truth which had been confined to literature emerged harsh and tragic within the context of everyday life, and could no longer be ignored, it seemed as if it were a product of literature."
This "truth" " is something so "obvious"that it becomes treated as a separation, a "fiction," rather than a "real, true fact."
To work with the "Hidden in Plain Site/Sight/Cite" can in this way be considered a "fiction," compared to the "reality" of a Formal Separation which is "immune to these things."
Sciascia notes the "Hidden in Plain Site/Sight/Cite" in using an expression from Poe's "The Purloined Letter:"
"(W)hat we called the invisibility of the obvious . . . (from Poe's Dupin) . . others have called over-obviousness . . . an obviousness linked to other obviousnesses , all of them conforming to a . . . concept of the clandestine."
This "invisibility" is separated from the "real, true fact," which the account and appearances of events create as the version that is "believed" to have occurred.
Sciascia quotes a dictionary:
"One says: a real true fact. and such like. Real in this case seems to reinforce true, not simply as pleonasm but thus: a real true fact hasn't simply occurred but it has occurred as it is told, as it appeared, as it is believed . . . "
The separation of "what is told, as it appeared, as it is believed" from what is "the invisibility of the obvious" allows for the concealment and deception Vidal-Naquet writes of.
The entries here may be read as the raw materials of
as an examination of these separations, symptons in language, and finding ways to link them in the term common to the military & ar t"avant- garde" in Necessity the Motherfucker of Invention's "New Extreme Experimental American Poetry& Arts.
"Waterboarding"--Brief History of a Word, a Practice
Visit/Join Palestinian Mothers on Facebook
Edgar Allan Poe at 200--19 January 1809-2009--Slideshow--
I am a member of IUOMA--International Union of Mail Artists
- ► 2010 (4101)
03/22 - 03/29
- Video: Rain of Fire White Phosphorous in Gaza--Vid...
- The Shadows - Apache
- Joseph Beuys Filz TV
- Video: Jonas Mekas: Warhol and Maciunas
- Rose Hobart, pt. 1 of 2
- voz de artaud/artaud's voice--with subtitles Potug...
- Call for National Action for Peace in Afghanistan
- Redfosforo: Boletín nº 018 Marzo.09
- Encuentro de Diseño en Córdoba
- Obama's "Right War"--5 articles--Al Queda, Pakista...
- Video: Israel responds to IDF Soldiers Confessions...
- Video: Dutch Doc. 2005: Worst Case: The Day The D...
- Israeli Attack On Sudan--2Articles
- Video: Obama passing new law to allow searching of...
- Fwd: Take Action: Demand Torture Investigation, NM...
- 'Gitmo Jr.-Gate?'
- Video: What is Pataphysics?--Evergreen Review #13...
- 'Pataphysics & Dada in "avant" USA- &-for Sean B...
- JFP News, 3/26: Four Questions on Afghanistan, Top...
- ANTOLOGIA BOEK VISUAL J.ALONSO-G. MARIN /B861 NOTI...
- terra incOgnitO--Joseph Nechvatal
- Expone Ivanoff“: EL DISCIPULO DEL DEMONIO” O “EL ...
- Native American Solidarity With Palestine
- [Flickr] ChirotZer0--40 New Works--Death from thi...
- Welcome to Gitmo II Obama doesn't talk like Bush...
- Restrepo at Parana, Entre Rios, Argentina
- F.T. Marinetti = Futurismo--Centenary of Futurist ...
- Pop to Meta-Pop: Ludwig Forum fur Internationale K...
- UK Guardian--Videos--Alleged War Crimes in Gaza--
- UK Guardian--Videos re Gaza War Crimes
- Just Foreign Policy News on the Web --March 25, 20...
- Gitmos in USA-- Jailed without justice--Petition f...
- JVP: Review of Zeev Maoz's Defending the Holy Land...
- Petition to G20--Green Recovery-- Global Rescue No...
- Burma: Free Aung San Suu Kyi
- Guantánamo: The Definitive Prisoner List
- Israeli Soldiers' T-shirts
- IDF shuts down Anderson parents press conference
- [ISM Updates] Digest March 22, 2009
- ADIOS A RAFAEL BARTOLOZZI
- David Chirot : Making the Visual Poetry Endpaper...
- David Chirot: Visual Poems from "Death from this ...
- 3 articles re Iran: Study of Possible Israeli Atta...
- Video & Articles: IDF Soldiers Telling of More Wa...
- Dorian Ribas Marinho: for Visual Poetry Mail Art ...
- Pal Csaba: for Visual Poetry/Mail Art Call No Sieg...
- Torture Memo Author John Yoo Blames Ruined Reputat...
- ▼ 03/22 - 03/29 (47)
- ► 2008 (1029)
- ► 2007 (520)
- ► 2006 (70)
- ► 2005 (187)
blog entries-----Palestinian Poetry & Poets--
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Palestinian Poet/Souvenir Seller Taha Muhammad Ali: life told as “My Happiness Bears No Relation to Happiness,” a biography by Adina Hoffman.
Protesting the Israeli security forces’ disruption of PalFest
Tuesday, May 26, 2009• Video: PalFest 2008: John Berger Reads Ghassan Kha...
Palfest 09: Culture vs. Power: (w/video) "to confront the culture of power with the power of culture."
Monday, May 25, 2009
- Monday, May 25, 2009
Video, article: Armed soldiers, police, attempt to shut down Palestine Festival of Literature opening nigh
Friday, April 17, 2009
Thursday, April 09, 2009
Friday, March 20, 2009
Organize Against Military Aid at National Marches, Campus BDS Tour, Israeli Apartheid in New York Times, and More! | Occupation
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Letter & Links for Linh Dinh: The " New McCarthyism" & American Sheep Sleep--w/Visual Poetry & Fotos—
Tuesday, February 03, 2009
Saturday, January 17, 2009
Thursday, January 15, 2009
CHECK THIS OUT--A Unique & Extraordinary Poetry--How beautiful it is to kill, how just to die--Santiago ALBA RICO
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
AGAINST THE WALLS OF SILENCE--2006-2009--Selections of Visual Poetry--Posters--Fotos-Postcards For Mail Art/Visual --Poetry Calls 2006-2009 by DBC--
Saturday, January 31, 2009
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Thursday, December 18, 2008
An Anarkeyology of Social Geography-- Elisee Reclus, Feneon The New Extreme Experimental Poetry & "Faits Divers de la poesie"
Wednesday, September 03, 2008
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Saturday, August 23, 2008
New Extreme Experimental & Language Poetries: "The Manchurian Candidate" is Alive and Well: China Inspired Interrogations at Guantanamo----NY Times
2nd Palestinian Festival of Literature Jerusalem 2009--Links to Connect With
Palfest 09: "to confront the culture of power with the power of culture"
Today, my friends, we saw the clearest example of our mission: to confront the culture of power with the power of culture.Despite attempts to prevent the sharing and transmission of culture, Palfest is using all the communications tools at its disposal to reach out -- for videos, photos, blogs and other Palfest updates go here. Here's a video from the opening night:
"GITMOS ACROSS THE USA"--SEE SIDEBAR FOR ARTICLES & LINKS
TAKE ACTION--HELP GAZA
Israeli forces ended their offensive against Hamas in Gaza on Saturday, 17 January, following the declaration of ceasefires by Hamas and Israel.
Highlighted below are some of the main buildings identified as destroyed or damaged in Gaza City and the surrounding area as of 16 January, when this latest satellite image was taken.
The image, taken for Unosat at the United Nations Institute for Training and Research, has helped researchers identify at least 566 destroyed or damaged buildings.
The map below shows the main areas attacked in the three weeks of violence.
Palestinian medical sources say more than 1,010 Palestinians were killed in the violence, which began on 27 December 2008. Israel says 13 Israelis died, including 10 soldiers in the campaign and three civilians killed as a result of rocket fire from Gaza.
NO MORE BLANK CHECK FOR ISRAEL! Plz Sign..
Urgent action by the UN General Assembly is warranted and possible.
Israeli impunity must be ended by the collective action of the world community - Plz sign
Some websites on Iraq
Interesting websites on Iraq
Photographing in Iraq:
Waiting for the Guards--extreme performance artist troupe enacts interrogationscenes for real
Waiting for the Guards highlights interrogation techniques used in the 'war on terror'. The film was made using members of the extreme performance artist troupe who enacted the interrogation scenes for real. The film demonstrates the so called Stress Position and is the first in a series of films focusing on different 'enhanced interrogation' techniques. For now the film is an exclusive for the web, before a theatrical release in independent UK cinemas in early 2008. We believe that the film is a great introduction to the unsubscribe movement, so we ask you to get the movie out there, in any way you can. The more people who will see it, the more people will be compelled to unsubscribe.
My Blog List
Anarkeyology of Vision: from Paul Virilio Forward to his "Negative Horizon"
GITMOS ACROSS AMERICA--DETENTION & DEATHS ARTICLES & LINKS
Immigration detainees and their families lack basic ways to get information when things go wrong.May 5, 2008N.Y. / RegionNews
ARTICLES ABOUT IN-CUSTODY DEATHS
After the deaths of two immigrant detainees, a review of the cases prompted recommendations for faster reporting of deaths and better sharing of information.July 3, 2008
The government should be rushing to improve the oversight and care in its sprawling detention system to protect all detainees.June 11, 2008
The immigration detention process is subjected to little oversight or accountability.May 24, 2008
It is increasingly difficult to pry records that should be open out of federal agencies.May 11, 2008
A bill would require the secretary of the Homeland Security Department to report all deaths in immigration detention within 48 hours to the Justice Department's inspector general as well as its own.May 7, 2008
As authorities continue rounding up illegal immigrants in these harsh days of ever-stricter enforcement, the potential for abuse will grow largely out of sight.May 6, 2008
Immigration detainees and their families lack basic ways to get information when things go wrong.May 5, 2008
The Senate immigration bill that is lumbering toward final passage is overloaded with provisions that will make life harsher and more unfair for immigrants.June 27, 2007
Lawmakers and government investigators are examining deaths of immigrants who die while in custody as immigration detention system swells to meet demands for stricter enforcement of immigration laws; family members and advocates have difficulty getting information about those who die in custody of immigrant detention, patchwork of federal, private and local facilities; new Immigration and Customs Enforcement report finds that 62 immigrants have died in custody since 2004; immigration officials ...June 26, 2007
Questions are being raised about the treatment in jail of a detained immigrant who hanged himself.February 23, 2007
A case before a federal court of appeals has linked the Bush administration's methods of interrogating prisoners to a sharp change in the standards of humanitarian law at home.March 11, 2005
Edwin Bulus, who fled Nigeria after members of family were jailed for allegedly plotting coup against military regime, has been detained by Immigration and Naturalization Service since arriving at Kennedy International Airport in May 1995, and his treatment has sometimes been harsh; is accused by Federal Government of entering country with false documents, and has since been denied parole while request for asylum is pending; asylum advocates describe handling of case by immigration service as K...April 1, 1997
SEARCH 12 ARTICLES ABOUT IN-CUSTODY DEATHS:
Explore a Detention Watch graphic showing the locations of immigration detention facilities across the country.
Deaths in Immigration Detention Navigator
A list of resources as selected by researchers and editors of The New York Times.
Sources for Facts and Data
- U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Federal agency in charge of detaining immigrants for deportation.
- Yearbook of Immigration Statistics
- Government data on foreign nationals in the U.S.
- House Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship, Refugees, Border Security and International Law
- Congressional oversight on immigration issues.
Legal Advocacy Groups
- Immigration Agency's List of Deaths in Custody
- "Detainee Deaths 2004-November 2007," compiled by Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
- Congressional Hearing on Detention and Removal: Immigration Detainee Medical Care
- Transcript and video of House Judiciary Subcommittee hearing on Oct. 4, 2007.
- The Prepared Testimony of Edwidge Danticat (pdf)
- An author and niece of a deceased detainee testified before the congressional hearing on detention on Oct. 4, 2007.
- Woods v. Meyers (pdf)
- Class action lawsuit brought by immigrants against ICE, June 13, 2007.
Other News Coverage
- 2005 Visual/Electronic Poetry Exhibit Catalog--Excellent
- A.1. Mail Art Archive/Michael Leigh
- Abandoned Buildings/Sean Bonney
- Acetone Bi-lingual Spanish Music Magazine
- Alain Satie Lettriste Site
- Annees Vinyl 40s-50s-60s Music Videos
- Anny Ballardini's Fieralingue/Poet's Corner
- Artpool Mail Art
- bentspoon/Ross Priddle
- Boek861 Huge Visual Poetry/Mail Art Site
- Brainstorm Stickers, Stencils, Street Art Magazine from Iran
- Brazilian Art & Poetry on Web--Great Site/200+ links
- Buz Blurr's Blog
- Calamari Press/Derek White
- Catalan Arts/Poetry/Visual Poetry/Performance/Events Site
- Congolese Hip Hop in France
- Crashtext/Xavier Stern
- Denis Charmot Mail Art
- El Museo del Barrio(NYC)
- Electronic Lebanon
- Fluxuations CD Anthology w/"Zero Poem"
- Friour Earth Charter Blog/Guido Vermeulen
- Frips Mail Art Blog
- Galatea Resurrects #3
- Geof Huth
- Giornale Nuovo
- Good Lettriste Site
- Grafitti Stencils in Mid East War Zones
- Gruppo Sinestetico
- Hip Hop CD By Parisian Rioters
- Hugo Pontes' Communicarte
- Infoshop Indy News/Anarchist Links
- International Dada Archives
- Iran Grafitti Report>
- Iranian Underground and Basement>
- jasminrougeracai/Thierry Tillier
- jcsynthetics blog
- Kiyotei's Mail Art Blog
- Kris Rzepka
- Laurent Herrou & Jean-Pierre Paringaux
- logolalia/Dan Waber
- Lonely Street Gene Vincent Fan Club Francophone w/Videos-great!
- Luc Fierens & Annina Van Sebroeck
- Mines Advisory Group/Dismantling Weapons
- minimum daily requirements/Jukka Kervinen
- Mumia 2000 Org
- nonlinear poetry
- Official Lettriste Site
- Paul Tiilila
- Photostatic Mag Retograde Archives
- Pierre Joris Nomadics
- po-X-cetera/Bob Grumman
- Portuguese Visual Poetry
- Rad Rides Top Show Cars by my Cousin Troy Trepanier
- Roland Sabatier Lettriste Site
- Ruud Janssen's Great Mail Art Blog
- Signal/Miroljub Todorovic
- Sleepingfish/Derek White
- Slobodan Skerovic
- Slowforward/Marco Giovenale
- Spell Magazine
- Sztuka-Fabryka/Geert De Decker Mail Art
- Tetherline/Drew Kunz
- textimagepoem/Jim Leftwich
- Thierry Tillier
- tonerworks/Reed Altemus
- Track Authorities/Drew Kunz
- USS Liberty Documents & Sailors' Statements & Info
- Vortice Argentina Visual Poetry & Mail Art
- William James Austin/Blackbox